Sunday, April 27, 2008

Training with Jaime and Milestone Birthdays

On Friday, April 18, I had a really fun and informative hour of training with Jaime, the teacher of my Marathon Training Class. (Oh yeah, I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before but I’ve been taking this class at my school’s gym. It’s basically a series of lectures with guest speakers talking about marathon nutrition, buying the right running shoes, preventing injuries, etcetera. Part of the class is an hour of personal training time with Jaime to discuss our personal goals, questions or other issues.)

I discussed several things with her, including all the goals I have in mind and the races I have signed up for (see the sidebar). We also discussed some strength training exercises for the upper body and talked about the other fitness classes offered at the gym that are best for runners (she loves spin class and pilates).

I also asked Jaime how I could get my dad interested in running. It’s a goal of mine I’ve been thinking about lately, especially since my dad did used to run a few races when my brother Marc was in track in college. He did some 5Ks, 10Ks, and even a 15K once and he enjoyed them. I think it would be a wonderful gift to get him (and maybe even my mom, although she’s more of a long shot) into running again, just like Andria has done for much of the Eaton family. He’s 66 years old, a diabetic, and has had multi-vessel heart bypass surgery – so he’ll probably immediately tell me it’s impossible. Obviously it isn’t, with the proper training (like the Galloway method, which Jaime recommended). He’s still healthy and active, and I think I can get him on board eventually. It’ll allow them to relate to my discussions about running – and I think my parents, especially my mom, really need to accomplish something like a marathon that’s just for them. They’ve spent their lives taking care of everyone else and they’ve given me so much – it’s my turn to give them something back. :)

Anyway, to get back on track (pun intended), the day after my training with Jaime was my 21st birthday (Saturday, April 19th)!! Usually, people get really drunk on their 21st, but I had no such plans. I’m not much of a drinker, I had lots of homework to do, and that night was also the start of my favorite Jewish holiday, Passover. Needless to say, I didn’t want to show up with my husband at the prayer services that night even remotely tipsy. My hubby did take me out to lunch, where I ordered a yummy raspberry margarita – and they didn’t even card me! Oh well. That was the end of the festivities for me, and a few hours later it was off to my school’s Hillel for the Passover Seder. This was a milestone birthday though, and it did get me to thinking about the next milestone: 30. There are several goals I want to accomplish by the time I’m thirty years of age…notice I didn’t say ‘thirty years old’, because thirty is not old! Anyway, here they are:

  • Graduating from OU (which should happen in two years/four semesters)
  • Completing a half-marathon, and then a full, and then many more. I want to eventually qualify for Boston and complete it, and eventually complete marathons in all 50 states and several foreign countries
  • Getting a technical degree from a photography school (like the Oklahoma School of Photography, with it’s wonderful eight month program)
  • Beginning my photography business
  • Possibly establishing a career as a writer as well (short stories, and who knows what else?)
  • Achieve my bat mitzvah and learn more about my religion in general
  • Build a home (in Oklahoma? Colorado?) outside this college town, where my husband and I can really settle down
  • Have two kids (a girl and a boy) with my incredible husband

A couple of these are career goals but most are personal goals – a very dramatic shift from the goals I’d set earlier in my life which were extremely career-oriented! Seeing this shift in my goals and priorities makes me very happy. Even though my progress with running is slow, I’m learning to be patient about it. I know can do it!! These goals will not be easy to accomplish (especially before I’m thirty), but they’ll be incredibly fulfilling – therefore I predict that these next nine years will be some of the best of my life. After all, I’m off to a great start – after marrying the love of my life and going on an incredible honeymoon last year, I’d say my 20th year was pretty amazing! Anyway, for whoever’s reading this now, I’m glad you’ll be running along on the journey with me. :)

Happy Running,
Hayley

3 comments:

valerie said...

Oh, Hayley, nobody could ask for a better daughter-in-law. These are wonderful goals, especially about the boy and girl. (Wouldn't you rather settle down closer to Maine, or North Carolina, though?) It is great that you want to get your dad running. From experiance, its the kids that are my biggest motivating force. Goals are what keeps our lives on track. You DO have a great husband.

Hayley said...

Aww, thank you! :D Well, we've both always loved Colorado, for one thing because that's where we met, so it has a special place in our hearts. Also, it keeps us close to the Great Plains that we love, but also close to the mountains (the best of both worlds!).

I really do have a great husband! But then we're both a little biased, haha! :D

Tracie said...

I know that kids will make V happy!! But your goals are definitely things you can accomplish!! Good job sitting down and figuring out your goals. A lot of times, that's the hardest part is to just sit down and figure out exactly what we want our goals to be in life.