Sunday, March 2, 2008

Battling Some Road Blocks

After the run at the outdoor track with Bobby and Andria, I have since completed two more two-mile runs with my new running shoes. These runs (on February 14th and 19th) were done indoors, around the track at the Huston Huffman Center – that’s my school’s awesome exercise facility. The first run was great, it was certainly infinitely better because I wasn’t wearing old, worn-out shoes.

Midway through the second run on the 19th, however, my right ankle started to hurt. I tried retying the laces, I checked to make sure my socks weren’t bunching up, etc. Then I noticed the problem – there was extra cushioning on the right side of the right ankle that wasn’t supposed to be there and wasn’t equally distributed. It basically rubbed the skin on my ankle really, really raw in that one spot. :( Aside from being painful, it was also just a big bummer to have new shoes that were now useless. I finished the run that day, but since then I’ve only worked out a couple times in my regular sneakers (walking on the treadmill or using the elliptical).

Other than battling the defective shoes, I’ve been battling some very annoying shoulder pain. Bobby and I went blackwater rafting when we were on our honeymoon in New Zealand, and the morning after that I woke up with really sharp neck pains. It then slowly moved to my shoulder and my upper arm and it’s more or less been there ever since – for a little more than two months now. Needless to say, I’m really sick of it. My doctor thinks it is probably a case of bursitis, which is apparently an inflammation of the bursae, a small tissue in the shoulder. He prescribed a steroid medicine to me a few weeks ago, which helped for the first two days, but then made no difference after that. Finally, I had an MRI done on Wednesday. Hopefully it will either confirm bursitis, or maybe show a torn rotator cuff, or something. I’ll feel less crazy once we know what it is, we fix it, and I can finally move on. I’ll let you all know when I get the results.

Anyway, about the shoes, I plan on going back to the OKC running store on Friday (the 29th). Maybe they can fix the shoe, but more than likely I’ll exchange them. I’ll also do some more shopping while I’m there – I’ll keep you all posted!

2 comments:

Andria said...

Yay for an excuse to go back to the running store! Boo for having to go back to the running store. LOL!

What Me Run? said...

Agree with A.

I haven't read ahead, but the "torn rotator cuff" makes me think of spring training. If that's it, and you go for rehab instead of surgery, we'll say that you are on the 180 day disabled list for marathon training?

PS - I hope you are fine.